8. Reduce opportunities for predators.
"Who's watching the kids?"
Take steps to eliminate or drastically reduce the number of isolated, one-on-one interactions a kid has with older people.
- make sure any isolated interactions with kids can be observed
- observe isolated interactions often & inform the adult you observed after the fact
- make sure any isolated interactions with kids can be interrupted No room with a kid in it is off limits to the caregiver/teacher/parent.
- interrupt isolated interactions unannounced, often, & at random Ex.: Come home earlier than you told the babysitter you would.
- understand that predators often "groom" the family as well as their intended victim. Just because you trust someone does NOT mean you should leave them alone with a child. Even family members.
- monitor kids' internet use
Want more detail? Read: