5. Learn the facts.
THE UGLY TRUTH.
We can't protect kids from what we don't understand.
It's difficult to think about these things, but we must. Here are just a few truths I wish every person knew:
- Most child abuse victims know & trust their predator.
- "Grooming" a victim is a gradual process that results in the victim trusting the perpetrator.
- Most recorded instances of sexual assault are against victims younger than 18.
- Sex trafficking is common in the United States.
- Most survivors of child abuse never report it.
- Most survivors of child abuse are abused again later in life.
- 80% of abuse occurs in isolated, one-on-one situations with an adult.
- Most survivors have blocked their memories of abuse, yet experience the symptoms.
The Darkness to Light website is an excellent resource for statistics & studies.